There are different types of lawyers concerned with various legal problems. Suppose you want to file a lawsuit against someone for a car accident. What kind of lawyer will you hire to deal with your case?
If you don’t choose the right lawyer, you have a greater risk of losing the case. For example, a business lawyer deals with business transactions, taxes, contract formation, reviews, etc. If you select a business lawyer for your injury case, you may lose your claim and may not get any compensation.
Therefore, knowing about different types of lawyers can help you choose the right legal attorney for your case.
Different Types of Lawyers
Much like any other profession, there are several areas of law. You never go to an eye doctor for pain in your back. Similarly, you shouldn’t consult a tax lawyer for a criminal case. Here you will know about different types of lawyers and who you should consult.
There are two types of lawyers in criminal law: a prosecutor and another is a defense lawyer. A prosecutor brings criminal cases against individuals. On the other hand, a criminal defense lawyer represents the persons who are charged with a crime.
When you are accused of committing a crime, you will need a criminal defense lawyer representing you in the courtroom. The attorney will counsel you, collect evidence, interview witnesses, and fight against the prosecutor to prove you innocent.
A criminal defense attorney will let you know about the possible consequences. You will get an idea of different legal proceedings and prepare for them. More importantly, the lawyer knows how to deal with the case and brings you out of prison.
Civil Litigation Lawyer
All other types of lawyers except criminal lawyers can be considered as civil litigation lawyers. These lawyers are also known as general lawyers. They deal with almost every kind of legal dispute, especially for a breach of contract.
Although general lawyers can give you legal advice on every kind of case, they are not experts in a particular field. So they may not be the right choice if you have a more severe matter. You can hire a general lawyer for small settlements or minor legal issues.
However, there are different types of lawyers in specific areas. You can choose a lawyer based on your requirement and match it with the lawyer’s area of expertise.
Corporate lawyers are also known as business lawyers. They are mainly two types of business lawyers as the business law is too broad; (1) Business Litigation Lawyers, and (2) Business Transactional Lawyers.
- Thus, Business litigation is also known as commercial litigation that comes under civil law. Businesses always face legal disputes for different matters, more specifically for breaching any business contract. If an individual or another business sue your company, you should hire a business litigation attorney to represent you.
- On the other hand, business transaction lawyers help in business formation, maintenance, and growth. These lawyers help you draft business documents, tax compliance, create and review non-disclosure agreements, secure funding, etc. In a nutshell, a business transactional lawyer works as a legal advisor to ensure every aspect of your business’s legal compliance.
Business litigation lawyers go to court and deal with legal proceedings. Whereas the business transaction lawyers work inside a company and do not go to court.
Employment lawyers work with both employees and employers. They offer different legal services and may help their clients with the following practices.
- Explaining Legal Rights: The employment lawyer can help the clients to know about employment rights. According to the case, the attorney can explain all the possible options, such as negotiation, mediation, etc. Moreover, the lawyer also describes the merits and demerits of each option.
- Helping in Compliance: The employment lawyers help the employer to comply with various laws. It includes several things, such as drafting policies, compliance with discrimination laws, maintaining environmental regulations, etc.
- Filing a Complaint or Lawsuit: The employment lawyers can also help an employee file a complaint or a lawsuit. Many people don’t know the difference and consider both of them as the same. But the complaint is the submission of initial documents containing the plaintiff’s legal rights (employee) and demand for relief or compensation. At the same time, a lawsuit refers to a legal case filed for an alleged wrongful act.
The employment lawyer deals with the above issues and several other matters related to employer-employee relationships.
As the name suggests, family lawyers deal with legal matters that involve family relationships. They handle different domestic cases, such as divorce, child custody, legal separation, etc. Moreover, you may need a family lawyer for the following reasons.
- Alimony: It’s a legal term that refers to a situation when a person doesn’t get the regular amount of money from their previous wife or husband after a divorce. The court of law orders a specific amount to pay to their spouse after the divorce.
- Prenuptial or Postnuptial Agreement: It’s an agreement between the couple before or after their marriage. The contract is a document that generally includes the property and savings agreement in case of death or divorce.
- Emancipation: It refers to a legal mechanism where a minor child is freed from the parents’ household to live independently or under the responsibility of others.
Apart from that, family lawyers may also work with other types of lawyers. For example, they may need a criminal lawyer to conduct a criminal investigation for domestic violence or child abuse.
Estate Planning Lawyers
Estate planning lawyers help you sort out the documents to transfer your savings and property to your children and loved ones after you die. Death is uncertain, and nobody knows when it will come. So what will happen to all your savings and properties after you die?
Moreover, estate lawyers may also help you to set out your final wishes. Additionally, they can also help you to build a trust fund. Consult an estate planning lawyer who can help you with what will happen to your property after you die.
Traffic lawyers are also a type of criminal defense lawyer. However, there is a vast difference between being accused of a serious criminal case like murder and violating traffic regulations. The legal procedures are also different for a murder case and a traffic violation case.
If you’ve been caught while speeding, driving without, or a suspended license, then you should consult a traffic lawyer. In special cases like driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), you need to hire an expert DUI or DWI lawyer.
Personal Injury Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you should hire a personal injury lawyer. They have the right knowledge and experience to deal with insurance companies to obtain maximum recovery for your damages. However, different types of lawyers deal with various personal injury cases apart from automobile accidents.
- Slips and Falls Injuries: One of the common types of personal injury cases is slips and falls injuries. In this type of injury, the insurer gets injured by falling from a height or simply slipping.
- Pet-bite Injuries: As the name suggests, if you get injured by a pet bite, then the owner of the pet will be responsible for it. Although it’s not international or the owner is not conscious of the pet’s vicious nature, he/she will be responsible for that.
- Work Injuries: When a person gets injured at work, then such claims come under work injuries. It can happen due to negligence in the maintenance of machinery or safety requirements.
In a nutshell, the injury may be due to negligence or an act of revenge; the person or organization will be held responsible for the sufferer’s damage. Oversight in medical practices and defective product manufacturing also come under personal injury claims.
Among different types of lawyers, immigration lawyers are also influential. If you want to get citizenship or work in a foreign country, you will need immigration lawyers. They will help and guide you through obtaining all the necessary documents for immigration. It’s a complicated process to navigate immigration laws and submit essential paperwork.
Apart from that, if you plan to set up a business in a foreign country, you will need an immigration lawyer. Additionally, you need to consult these lawyers to hire someone from other countries.
Intellectual Property Lawyers
Finally, if you have created an original song, a unique product, a design, a novel, you can protect it by copyrights. An intellectual property lawyer can help you to obtain the copyrights and secure your original creativity.
If someone infringes on your work, you can consult an IP lawyer for negotiation and settlement. The IP lawyers have specialization in different law areas such as computer programming, e-commerce, the internet, etc. Since there are different types of lawyers, you need to choose the right lawyer for your legal issues.
I hope the above information has helped you to explore different types of lawyers. Now you don’t need to worry about choosing the right legal attorney when you need any legal services. There are other kinds of lawyers you can explore online.
Remember, you need to follow some best practices for choosing the best lawyer. Look for the experience, reputation, fees, and behavior of a lawyer before hiring. Lastly, if you have any queries, please mention them in the comment sections.